Psychiatry is the medical specialty devoted to the study, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental disorders. These include various affective, behavioural, cognitive and perceptual abnormalities.
WHO estimated that globally over 450 million people suffer from mental disorders. Currently mental and behavioral disorders account for about 12 percent of the global burden of diseases. This is likely to increase to 15 percent by 2020.
Stigma related to mental disorders, lack of awareness in common people, delayed treatment seeking behavior, lack of low cost diagnostic test and lack of easily available treatment are the main hurdles in combating the problem of mental health in India. In addition factors pertaining to traditional medicine and beliefs in supernatural powers in community delays diagnosis and treatment.
A clear distinction is often made between ‘mind’ and ‘body’. But when considering mental health and physical health, the two should not be thought of as separate.
Poor physical health can lead to an increased risk of developing mental health problems. Similarly, poor mental health can negatively impact on physical health, leading to an increased risk of some conditions.
There is an increasing call on healthcare professionals to consider psychological wellbeing when treating the physical symptoms of a condition and vice versa.
There are various ways in which poor mental health has been shown to be detrimental to physical health.
Depression has been linked to:
- 67% increased risk of death from heart disease.
- 50% increased risk of death from cancer.
While schizophrenia is associated with:
- Double the risk of death from heart disease
- Three times the risk of death from respiratory disease.
- The lifestyle factors can influence the state of both your physical and mental health.
- Physical activity in any form is a great way to keep you physically healthy as well as improving your mental wellbeing. Research shows that doing exercise influences the release and uptake of feel-good chemicals called endorphins in the brain. Even a short burst of 10 minutes brisk walking increases our mental alertness, energy and positive mood. Physical activity means any movement of your body that uses your muscles and expends energy. From tending your garden to running a marathon, even gentle forms of exercise can significantly improve your quality of life.
- Psycho Pharamco Therapy
- Electro Convulsive Therapy
- Psycho Therapy:
- Cognitive Behavioural Therapy
- Behaviour Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Speech Therapy
- Marital Therapy
- Relaxation Therapy / Bio Feedback